Useful information for councils on novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
On these pages, you will find guidance and resources from the LGA and our key partners, as well as the latest official Government information relevant to local government.
- LGA COVID-19 support offer
A summary of our current refocused support offer.
The scale of the challenge that councils are currently facing requires strong, responsive and resilient leadership. We are refocusing our leadership offer so that senior councillors and officers have access to e-learning resources and the ability to share their experiences with their peers.
- Latest LGA news releases and parliamentary briefings
- COVID-19 related publications
- Upcoming COVID-19 virtual events
The LGA's easy-to-access virtual events programme will provide you with relevant content and access to speakers from within and outside local government.
- COVID-19 data from LG Inform
Local authority report showing the number and rates of all confirmed COVID-19 cases by authority, compared to others
England overview report showing the number of COVID-19 cases and deaths across England as a whole, and the top ten councils for number and rate of cases
Weekly deaths report providing a summary of Office for National Statistics (ONS) weekly deaths data
Care homes report focusing on deaths in care homes in particular
Vulnerable groups report providing estimates of local authority populations likely to be vulnerable to COVID-19
Area characteristics report comparing case rates across all local authorities to other factors at a local area level, such as deprivation.
- Government information and support
- GOV.UK - Information about the Events Research Programme (ERP), paving the way for larger audiences to attend sport, theatre and gigs safely this summer
- GOV.UK - Government launches COVID-19 Antivirals Taskforce to roll out innovative home treatments this autumn
- GOV.UK - COVID-19 Response - Spring 2021 (Summary)
- GOV.UK - Adult Social Care Infection Control and Testing Fund
- GOV.UK - Government reintroduces confirmatory PCR testing for assisted testing
- GOV.UK - Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing in adult care homes
- GOV.UK - Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance for children's social care services
- GOV.UK - Asymptomatic testing: early years staff in different settings
- GOV.UK - COVID-19: guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable
- GOV.UK - Containing and managing local coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreaks
- GOV.UK - COVID-19 vaccination: British Sign Language resources
- GOV.UK - Government targets false vaccine information on social media
- GOV.UK - Coronavirus (COVID-19): disposing of waste
- GOV.UK - Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing for homecare workers
- GOV.UK – Free rapid tests for all businesses for regular workplace testing
- GOV.UK – Restricting workforce movement between care homes and other care settings
- GOV.UK – Final findings from February COVID-19 REACT-1 study published
- ADPH - Living Safely with Covid (PDF)
- PHE - Let's get back to school safely
- NHS weekly COVID-19 vaccinations data (with breakdown of local area)
- Official UK Government website for data and insights on COVID-19
- COVID-19 response: Spring 2021
- COVID-19 guidance for local government
- PHE - local outbreak plans assurance survey
- MHCLG Local Digital Collaboration Unit: responding to the COVID-19 outbreak
- Other information and support
Information and guidance for councils
There is not a single area of local government that is not affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The need for updated information and support on how to tackle the 'new normal' is understandably great. To help you navigate the situation, we have split our COVID-19 hub into four different areas, so you can easily find the information you need.
Information and guidance related to specific council services and responsibilities.
Councils are doing remarkable work to address COVID-19, pooling resources, responding to new problems and coming up with creative solutions, including to recovery and renewal.
Guidance and tools for councillors and officers, including on workforce and HR, virtual meetings, top tips for responding to issues arising from COVID-19, communications and more.