Useful information for councils on novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
On these pages, you will find guidance and resources from the LGA and our key partners, as well as the latest official Government information relevant to local government.
- LGA COVID-19 support offer
A summary of our current refocused support offer.
The scale of the challenge that councils are currently facing requires strong, responsive and resilient leadership. We are refocusing our leadership offer so that senior councillors and officers have access to e-learning resources and the ability to share their experiences with their peers.
- Latest LGA news releases and parliamentary briefings
Our latest media lines related to coronavirus.
- COVID-19 related publications
- Upcoming COVID-19 virtual events
Learning lessons from the response to COVID-19: safeguarding people experiencing homelessness
25 January 2021, 10.00am - 12.00pm
- COVID-19 cases data from LG Inform
Local authority report showing the number and rates of all confirmed COVID-19 cases by authority, compared to others
England overview report showing the number of COVID-19 cases and deaths across England as a whole, and the top ten councils for number and rate of cases
Weekly deaths report providing a summary of Office for National Statistics (ONS) weekly deaths data
Care homes report focusing on deaths in care homes in particular
Vulnerable groups report providing estimates of local authority populations likely to be vulnerable to COVID-19
Area characteristics report comparing case rates across all local authorities to other factors at a local area level, such as deprivation.
- Government information and support
- National Lockdown: Stay at Home (information on what you can and cannot do, January 2021)
- COVID-19 guidance for local government
- PHE - local outbreak plans assurance survey
- MHCLG Local Digital Collaboration Unit: responding to the COVID-19 outbreak
- GOV.UK – contingency framework: education and childcare settings
- Other information and support
Information and guidance for councils
There is not a single area of local government that is not affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The need for updated information and support on how to tackle the 'new normal' is understandably great. To help you navigate the situation, we have split our COVID-19 hub into four different areas, so you can easily find the information you need.
Information and guidance related to specific council services and responsibilities.
Councils are doing remarkable work to address COVID-19, pooling resources, responding to new problems and coming up with creative solutions, including to recovery and renewal.
Guidance and tools for councillors and officers, including on workforce and HR, virtual meetings, top tips for responding to issues arising from COVID-19, communications and more.