Information on the model motion to adopt parental leave - full council.
This Council notes:
- That analysis of the 2019 Local Election results by the Fawcett Society found that only 35% of councillors in England are women, up 1% since 2018. Of the seats that were up for election in 2018, 38% went to women, up just 3 percentage points on 2014 when these seats were last contested;
- That across England, following the most recent set of local elections in 2019, the number of Labour councillors who are women still stands at 45%, the same as after the 2018 elections;
- As of October 2020, only 28 out of 121 Labour councils and only 31 out of 143 opposition Labour Groups are led by women;
- As of October 2020, 27 councils have passed the LGA Labour Group’s Parental Leave policy, and an additional 9 councils have their own parental leave policy in place. Almost 40 Labour Groups have passed the Labour Group parental leave policy;
- That the equalities section of the Labour Party Democracy Review mandates all Labour councils and Labour Groups to introduce a parental leave policy for to cover their group and their council as applicable;
- That the role of a councillor should be open to all, regardless of their background, and that introducing a parental leave policy is a step towards encouraging a wider range of people to become councillors, and is also a step to encourage existing councillors who may want to start a family to remain as councillors;
- That parental leave must apply to parents regardless of their gender, and that it should also cover adoption leave to support those parents who choose to adopt.
This Council resolves:
- To adopt the parental leave policy drafted by the LGA Labour Group’s Women’s Taskforce to give all councillors an entitlement to parental leave after giving birth or adopting;
- To ensure that councillors with children and other caring commitments are supported as appropriate;
- To notify the LGA Labour Group that this council has passed a motion at full council to adopt the parental leave policy.