Councils work in partnership with investors and landlords of all tenures to raise standards across the private rented sector.
The DCLG discussion paper "Tackling rogue landlords and improving the private rental sector" invited feedback on the levels of fines for serious housing offences and proposals including a "blacklist" of landlords and letting agents who persistently commit offences.
In the LGA's response we call for:
- The introduction of sentencing guidelines for magistrates on housing act offences, and a wider range of penalties
- Clarity on the proposals for a blacklist and how it will be funded
- Support for councils to make robust decisions in whether a landlord is a "fit and proper person" to hold a licence
- Amendments to the notice period and compensation arrangements for Article 4 planning directions
- Stronger powers for councils on the release of surplus public land to support large scale investment in the private rented sector