Health and care systems across the country are joining up services to improve the health, wellbeing and experiences of individuals, through both national and local transformation programmes.
Integrated care has developed significantly since the 2015 Autumn Statement required all local areas to integrate health and care services through what is now called the Better Care Fund.
The LGA has long supported joining up services across place in order to meet the needs of a society with increasingly chronic and complex health and care needs.
In November 2018 the LGA, with partners Association of Directors of Adult Social Services, the Association of Directors of Public Health, NHS Confederation, NHS Clinical Commissioners and NHS Providers, published a shared vision for integration entitled Shifting the Centre of Gravity: making place-based, person-centred health and care a reality.
It is also the basis for our shared Six principles to achieve integrated care, which informs all our joint work across organisational boundaries to plan and deliver person-centred care and support.
These web pages include a wide range of information, resources and support offers to aid local systems in developing integrated care and health arrangements.
- System transformation: national policy and resources
- Integrated care systems: NHS England (NHSE) and NHS Improvement have published a consultation document on the future of integrated care systems (ICSs) in England. We encourage councils to respond to this consultation to ensure local government provides a strong and clear voice on the future of health and care partnerships by the deadline of 8 January 2021. To assist your teams with drafting your submissions we have published a briefing which summarises the key proposals of relevance to local government. We have also highlighted some of the LGA’s initial key messages, questions and concerns. Our own final response to the consultation will be informed by the views of our member councils – if you have anything you wish to share with us at this stage please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LGA briefing on NHS Long Term Plan Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships (STPs): What are they?
- LGA briefing on Primary Care Networks
- List of clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) by health and wellbeing board
We offer a wide range of support to health and care leaders as well as to health and wellbeing boards.
We have a wide range of support resources in relation to public health and prevention.
- Better Care Fund
The Better Care Fund was announced by the Government in the June 2013 spending round, to ensure a transformation in integrated health and care.
- Working with hospitals
Working better with hospitals is essential in developing good integrated health and care services, be that to reduce demand for acute services, as well as to ensure people are discharged home in a safe and timely way.