Taking action to: recruit and retain the right workforce; address key future occupational skill shortages; promote jobs and careers; identify, develop and motivate talent and address diversity issues.
The LGA Consultancy offers the following products and services to improve recruitment and retention:
Recruitment of chief officers and chief executives
Recruiting senior managers in local government is a resource-intensive exercise, often fraught with political sensitivities, requiring market knowledge of the local government employment sector.
The LGA wants to support councils which have not got the in-house expertise required to recruit to senior positions. The LGA Consultancy can provide councils with independent, expert knowledge and technical advice to help their in-house teams.
With the experience gained through dealing with its members, expertise on pay, job evaluations and HR strategies, the LGA can provide support with all – or selected – parts of the recruitment process; starting from when you receive a resignation letter to sending out a job offer.
We possess expertise in the following areas:
- carrying out exit interviews to analyse job and organisational issues
- drafting job descriptions and person specifications
- preparing advertisements and placing these with the appropriate media
- preparing recruitment information packs
- managing the response handling service
- advising on short-listing and recruitment processes
- carrying out ‘long-listing’ and preliminary interviews
- undertaking a full testing and assessment process – including providing feedback to interviewees
- attending interviews to advise panels on process and technical support
- concluding job offers and agreeing benefits packages
- record keeping and monitoring/analysis of recruitment statistics and information
- training HR, line managers, chief officers and/or members in recruitment and selection
- re-writing recruitment policies and procedures
- checking and/or writing equalities policies that impact on recruitment and retention.
The LGA Consultancy provides a flexible, practical and results driven approach which remains at all times cost effective. Should you wish to discuss where the LGA may be able to help please contact: email@example.com.
21st Century Public Servant Certificate of Recognition
In 2014, the University of Birmingham published exciting research in which they launched the concept of a 21st century public servant. They identified ten characteristics that embodied a 21st century public servant following research undertaken with councils as well as other parts of the public sector.
Following the successful publication of an e-book, ‘Walk Tall: Being a 21st century public servant’, commissioned by the LGA, PPMA and SOLACE, all three organisations and the University of Birmingham have developed the 21st Century Public Servant Certificate of Recognition.
The process of assessment looks holistically at a range of organisational practices and policies as well as signifiers of the organisational culture to determine whether the Certificate of Recognition can be awarded. We do this by listening to stories, spending time with people at work, having conversations with citizens, reading helpful information and being curious about what you do and how you do it.
The Certificate of Recognition is intended to provide organisations with an opportunity to reflect on where they are and benefit from the external perspective and expertise that the four partners can offer. We do not want it to feel like a process or require organisations to complete reams of paper or supply endless information. We want to award the certificate by being 21stcentury public servants ourselves: talking, listening, sharing stories and experience, challenging, supporting, collaborating.
For more information on costs and time commitment, please contact Sarah.Messenger@local.gov.uk.