The LGA’s new councillor hub is intended to provide you with all the essential information you may need as a newly elected councillor and is a useful addition to the support and guidance you will receive from your own council.
The COVID-19 pandemic has demonstrated the critical importance of local government. From the outset, the LGA has consistently made the case for local action and leadership and we ensured that Government heard why it was so important that councils had a leading role in responding to the pandemic. We have worked with councils to demonstrate to Government that where local councils can lead, there are better outcomes for our residents.
The LGA are a politically-led, cross-party organisation that works on behalf of councils to ensure local government has a strong, credible voice with national government. We aim to influence and set the political agenda on the issues that matter to councils so they are able to deliver local solutions to national problems. We provide a range of practical support to enable local authorities to exploit the opportunities that this approach to improvement provides.
In 2020 we rapidly refocused our sector-led improvement offer. This includes an expanded financial resilience programme, revamped remote peer support and extensive leadership programmes focused on supporting members during these challenging times. We are working closely with councils to ensure that we continue to deliver the support that you need, which will be reflected in the sector-led improvement offer for 2021/22.
The hub includes the following:
- An introduction to local government: This section contains information on how local government is organised, how decisions are made, and how the local government workforce is made up.
- The role of a councillor: View this area for information on the role of a councillor, support for councillors, guidance on the agreed code of conduct for elected members and more.
- LGA support for councillors: In this section you will find out more about the LGA, the policy areas we cover, our events programme, an introduction to our improvement work and more.
- Welcome events for new councillors: View the latest events and webinars available for new councillors.
- New councillors frequently asked questions: The LGA’s regional teams run induction events in May/June following local elections as an opportunity to provide support to new (and returning) councillors.
- Further resources and guidance for new councillors: Find helpful resources and guidance relevant to new councillors.
What the LGA Liberal Democrat Office does
The work of the group offices includes:
- advising and supporting group leaders, deputies and other office holders in the effective management of LGA political activity
- influencing, liaising and networking with Government, shadow teams and party administrations
- providing information and communication to and from political groups in councils, both active members and groups more generally
- maintaining a watching brief over council performance and coordinating political intervention where and when necessary
- helping sustain LGA campaigns, policy and media
- public affairs work.
- support the work of ALDC
- collects good practice and shares it with councillors.
Left to right: Sitting Liberal Democrat councillors Aga Dychton, Adam Dance, Mirna Juarez and Julia Ogiehor
Council motions make a difference
As a councillor you know just how important council motions can be. They can give you messages to use in your leaflets, they can galvanise your group and they can do what we're all there to do - change things for the better.
What better way to come up with new ideas to improve your area than to look at some of the great council motions other Liberal Democrat groups have produced up and down the country.
That's why at ALDC we keep and publish council motions from Lib Dem groups and put them on our website and in our emails. We also speak to third party organisations like Friends of The Earth, The NEU and Keep Britain Tidy to see what we can find so you don't have to.
So we've got lots of great ideas for your next council motion and importantly we're always looking for more.
Check out all of our great council motions, including:
- tackling litter problems
- ending the cladding scandal
- tackling loneliness
- fairer tax
- diversity at the town hall
- invisible disabilities.
- And much much more...